I hate seeing these articles. My heart crumbles a tiny bit more, if that's even possible. My eyes well up with tears. Most people just keep flipping through the paper or scrolling down the screen. Not me.
Why you may ask? Well I have been there. I have struggled everyday with a spouse who was desperately trying to survive and support his cows, his crops and his family on low milk prices. Ultimately, it was low milk prices that took everything away from me.
You see, by the time we realized that selling out would be our only option it was too late. We had no choice but to file bankruptcy. The financial turmoil and stressful workload placed on my husband while I was caring for our two young sons (affording labor or daycare being impossible) was far too heavy. The downward spiral continued. Within 6 months of seeing our beloved, hand raised, family heirloom cows go, our marriage had suffered irreparably.
I often over hear people complaining about how much a gallon of milk costs in the store. I have to walk away. I want to interrupt them and say "let me tell you exactly what a gallon of milk costed me."
I used to feel sad when I would I see an article about another family farm going under. Now, I quietly pray that they made the decision before losing everything like us, and that maybe, just maybe they will be able to breathe a sigh of relief.
No comments:
Post a Comment