Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Generations

This is a poem I wrote in English Composition, based on the poem Where I'm From by George Ella Lyons.  This was written while we were married, about my life in general, as a daughter, a wife and a mother...


I Am From

I am from a willow tree
Swaying peacefully on Grandma's hill.
I am from wild strawberries that ripen in the sun,
And flower gardens in bloom.

I am from leaves changing in the fall,
And the laughter of kids in costumes.
From Spaghetti and Pepsi, as birthday candles flare.
I am from footed pajamas and copper ringlets.

I am from my love, he works hard everyday.
I am from the brown cow, lulling softly to her newborn calf.
I am from the smell of sweet hay filling the barn,
And the rustle of happily munching cows.

I am from juice boxes and sippy cups,
And clothes scatterered about. I am from
"Mommy I love you!" and "Goodnight Moon"
I am from Coyote Kisses and great big bear hugs.
Cowboy boots, a Spongebob blankie,
And a stuffed doggy named Bubba.

I am from strong women, generations passing down.
I am from survival and drama, love and abuse.
I am from a mistake that opened another door.
A window that let the sun pour through
On a rainy day. I am from a rainbow.
A beautiful blend of colors, stretching gracefully across the farm.
I am the pot of gold.

Teah Ranney
January 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment