Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Smile and make someones day a little brighter...

A morsel of advice I posted to facebook a month after my divorce, (it was dated August 6th 2011) after reading a comment one of my (ex)husbands friends had written directed at me about marriage not being sacred and people not taking their vows seriously. Judgements are so frustrating. Especially when those passing judegement are not directly involved, don't know the facts, etc...

It's just a post I feel bears repeating because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle. Smile and make their day, or atleast a few moments of it a little brighter. It could mean the world to them.



I get REALLY annoyed at people's judgement and commentary on those going through a divorce, especially from the mouths of people who have never even been married, have no kids, and no idea what it takes to be in a long term commited relationship. Yes, marriage is supposed to be forever, but sadly, life circumstances change, people change, and with that some couples grow together, and others grow apart. Until you walk in my shoes, and feel an ounce of the pain I feel, back off. The last thing people who are dealing with often the biggest, most stressful, often heartbreaking loss of their life, is comments putting them down. Life is hard. Love is harder. Heartbreak is the worst feeling in the world, and regardless of how bad my marriage (or any marriage) was at the end, it is still heartbreaking and painful to have it fail. Yes, I am sure I will be happier in the end, but I lost everything I have ever known, my partner, my best friend, my companion for 15 years, and until you honestly know what that feels like you have no right to judge. Until you know what living my life everyday, with a husband who worked non-stop, surmounting farm debt, etc. was like, you have no right to judge. Every person you meet is fighting some form of life battle. The best thing you can do for someone is to smile at them. No one needs negativity in their life... especially those you already KNOW are struggling. That is my thought for the day.

1 comment:

  1. You hit the nail right on the head. You never know what is really going on in someone elses day. Just know for you, I say a little prayer each day and I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete